1. Take care of the things that goes into the tank. One means of extending the life of your septic tank is to be aware of the things that you put in it. Make sure not to place any cigarette ends, wet tissues, diapers, napkins, coffee grounds, fats, cooking oil and other non-biodegradable substances in the septic tank. These non-biodegradable substances are capable of causing blockage in the septic tank which would require you to have an expensive repair job.
2. Keep the drain field. The primary component of the septic tank is the drain field which helps to remove the solid waste products from the liquid waste products. Here are some tips that you need to keep in mind so as to make your drain fields last long. Be sure not to park your car or vehicle on the drain field. Be certain that the trees are planted at a safe distance from the drain field in order to keep the roots from growing in the drain field or close to it. In addition, the rainwater drainage systems such as gutters and sump pumps be kept away from the drain field.
3. Examine the septic tank from time to time. In order to prolong the normal functioning of a septic tank, it is vital that you have a periodic inspection as well as proper upkeep of the septic tank by a profession.
4. Benefit from pumping services. In order for the solid wastes to be properly broken down, pumping out of the septic tank every two years is very important. Regular pumping of septic tank will not only aid in increase the life of the tank, on the other hand, it also prevents system failure.
5. Set the usage of household chemicals. One of the things that can cause the septic tank to malfunction is excessive utilization of household chemicals such as detergent, bleach, drain cleaner and so forth. The household chemicals are capable of stopping the action of the bacteria present in the tank which is responsible for the breakdown of waste products.
6. Ask assistance from the experts. With regards to the maintenance and cleaning of the septic tank, you must always depend on the assistance of the experts. The provider of septic tank services will go to your place and carefull evaluate your septic tank for any signs of damages and leaks. They will evaluate the sludge layers and the scum so as to find out the real source of the problem. And each time you find a very small problem with your septic tank, it is highly recommended to be certain that you call a professional for help.